Sunday, June 19, 2011

Colouring Book Theatre: Marlin Perkins Wild Kingdom

Marlin Perkins Wild Kingdom" by Whitman
Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom will forever remind me of Sunday afternoons at my grandparents in that wasteland of TV that limited channels brought you in the 1970s.

It was an oasis between Lawrence Welk and golf. Oddly I am obsessed with Lawrence Welk shows now.

Even as a kid I knew the show was a little old fashioned looking and educational but it staved off boredom and it endeared itself to me.

I had high hopes for comedy gold with this book but I was in for a surprise when it arrived:

More after the jump.






It's nothing but well drawn, well written pages about animals. You could slap a new cover on this and sell it today. You may ask yourself "What the hell were you expecting?" Let me illustrate that for you:
Yes, I drew this and you're right, I'm an idiot but honestly, I was hoping for some pictures of Marlin and Jim in this thing. I want to color an old man!

The majority of this book oddly enough is racoons, here is what it looks like in my attic.

I could go on but there is little comedy to be mined here, which is the direct opposite of next week's entry. Happy Father's day!


If you have a colouring book you'd like to guest review, I'd like to hear from you!

Next Week: Stretch Armstrong and Stretch Monster

5 comments:

Neal P said...

I'm obsessed with Lawrence Welk too! Couldn't stand it when I was stuck at my grandparents and my grandmother would put the show on, but now I watch and get all nostalgic. Strange what you miss once it's gone.

Plaidstallions said...

Yeah, I can't look away if it's on. It's like a hypno wheel.

DonKelly said...

I had this one. Plus I too get nostalgic with Lawrence Welk.. even have a few albums featuring him and the gang of regulars.

James L said...

What a flashback... I had this one.

Anonymous said...

Hahahaa!! love the nap sketch. I was hoping for same
- Jenni

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin