Tuesday, August 02, 2011

Planet of the Incredibly Silly Merchandise


This wonderful piece made by Larami is a prime example of licensing run amuck, other than the clever title it has no connection whatsoever to the Planet of the Apes franchise. In fact, once you take it out of the box, it's just two flimsy boomarangs.






And then there's this, the pellet shooting walkie talkie, another item that doesn't make a lick of sense but I do praise it for it's gorgeous card art depicting Brent and Nova. "Beneath" scared the holy hell out of me as a child and now I'm obsessed with it.


Why the hell do I want these SO badly then?

Many thanks to Mike J for the share.

5 comments:

Tex said...

"But MOM! It's not just a couple of boomerangs...It's boom-a-rangutangs!"

Tex
(heard at toy stores across the country back then)

R.A.M.'67 said...

A PLANET WHERE APES OFFER TACKY MOVIE TIE-IN TOYS FOR MAN?!?

Alphacentaurian said...

If that's Aldo from "Battle" on that Walkie-Talkie, that makes it a rare piece of Claude Akins merchandise!

Barry said...

Found this Amazing POTA performance.
http://www.dangerousminds.net/comments/paul_williams_sings_in_his_planet_of_the_apes_make-up/

PDXWiz said...

Those discs were manufactured in a variety of colors. I've seen them used in several sf 'ray' guns, including the Star Trek phaser-and-utility-belt set. They might have been in Buck Rogers or Space: 1999 toys, too. I know that a few years after I got my utility belt set, I found those discs occasionally outside--playgrounds I guess, don't recall exactly. But I kept them for extra ammunition!

Highly cheesy, but they could both be useful for the cartoon series--the humans might use the boomerangs to hunt, while the Apes might have used the walkie-talkie and the fake magnet.

Gordon Long

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin