Sunday, July 01, 2012

TV Comix: The Incredible Hulk


I can't believe it's been three years since I last did a "TV Comix" segment on this blog. To make up for it, I have a pretty big deal from 1979 in the form of the Incredble Hulk.  Put on your purple pants and join me after the jump:


British Annuals are always a good source for TV based comic strips for shows that didn't get comics. Whether it's TV Planet of the Apes, Logan's Run or Manimal, sometimes the only comic strips they ever got were between the hard cover of these fun publications.

Such is the case with the Incredible Hulk, this is not Bruce Banner but David, and it closely follows the tone and feel of the series. Throughout the entire book there is no General Ross or other giant monsters, just small time thugs and would be kidnappers which is the theme of "Terrror of the Swamps"




Please note the undeniable lack of "Hulk Smash", the big guy is mute.


Cue haunting piano theme.

I may have been a weird kid but I used to buy Hulk comics expecting them to be like the TV show, for that reason I really dug this book.

1 comment:

Phillyradiogeek said...

There was also a short-lived American newspaper comic strip that followed the format of the TV Series (David instead of Bruce, mute Hulk, etc.). I saw a paperback collection in a supermarket when I was a kid in the mid-80s, but didn't pick it up--one of my regrets in life!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin